New Day, 20th Century
Oil on Canvas
Gift of Benjamin D. Bernstein
Condition of the Artwork (2009):
The canvas plane has become slightly distorted by the heavy application of paint, but this is not detectable from the front. There are isolated areas of flaking paint in the oranges, cherries, upper right, red, background and in the black stripe to the left of the scale. There are relatively minor abrasions and chips at the edges. There may be a slight build up of grime on the paint surface.
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Consolidate insecure paint.
- Remove/reduce surface grime with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Possibly apply a very thin, conservation quality varnish overall, if needed, to slightly saturate the paint layer but maintain the variable surface sheen overall.
- Fill and inpaint paint losses with conservation quality materials.
- All materials used will be appropriate and conservation quality. All work will adhere to the highest standards of the field.
Conserved in 2011-2012 With Support from the Stockman Family Foundation
(See Online Exhibition of Conservation Treatments)