Father Returns Home
Unknown (P.J. Onderberg)
Father Returns Home, 19th Century
Oil on Board
Gift of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Shannon
Although this painting has not been authenticated, the artist is believed to be 19th century painter, P.J. Onderberg. The piece depicts an intimate family scene in which a father returns, probably from war, to his young wife and child. While Onderberg is credited with the work, the painting’s detail and style reflect a time period earlier than the 19th century and make it difficult to determine the work’s origin.
Current Condition of the Artwork:
The panel has a slight, horizontal, convex warp. There is fine, small scale, age cracking overall. There are some small chips and abrasions from framing at the edges.
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Remove/reduce grime with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Remove/reduce degraded varnish with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Apply a thin, isolating layer of a conservation quality varnish overall.
- Fill and inpaint paint losses and abrasions with conservation quality materials.
- Apply a conservation quality finish varnish overall.
- All materials used will be appropriate and conservation quality. All work will adhere to the highest standards of the field.
Estimated Cost of Treatment: $1,250.00