Adoration of the Shepherds
Domenico Garguilo (called Micco Spadaro)
Adoration of the Shepherds, 1650
Oil on Canvas
Purchased with funds provided by Mr. and Mrs. Richard M. Thune and Mr. H. Ward Reighley
Domenico Garguilo, more commonly known as Micco Spadaro, was a 17th century Italian painter and draughtsman. His early work primarily dealt with religious, mythological, and genre scenes, combining wild and dramatic landscapes with lyrical biblical scenes and numerous figures. Spadaro’s paintings offered a significant contribution to an emerging school of naturalistic Neapolitan landscapes and provided an architectural element similar to the Roman painter, Michelangelo Cerquozzi. Spadaro’s late work moves away from biblical imagery, focusing instead on current events in Neapolitan history set in realistic landscapes.
Condition of the Artwork (2009):
The edges have a very fractured appearance with many old paint losses, but they have been stabilized and are not insecure. Fine, small to medium scale, slightly cupped age cracking is visible overall. Ultra violet light reveals numerous old repaint scattered overall. Shadows and dark areas of paint seem to have been abraded and then repainted/inpainted. The young kneeling shepherd at right has a large blotch of repaint in his forehead.
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Remove/reduce the grime with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Remove/reduce the degraded varnish with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Remove/reduce numerous, old repaints with the appropriate cleaning agents.
- Apply an isolating layer of a conservation quality varnish overall.
- Fill and inpaint paint losses and abrasions with conservation quality materials.
- Pentimenti will be allowed to remain as an insight into the artist’s thought process and to be used as a teaching aid.
- Apply a conservation quality finish varnish overall.
- All materials used will be appropriate and conservation quality. All work will adhere to the highest standards of the field.
Estimated Cost of Treatment: $5,500.00