The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan Seated on a Throne While Three Ladies Pay Their Respects
Indian, Rajasthan, Bikaner School
The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan Seated on a Throne While Three Ladies Pay Their Respects, c. 1750-75
Opaque Watercolor, Gold
Gift of Dr. Alvin O. Bellak
Current Condition of Artwork:
Pressure sensitive tape on support. Adhesive residue with old hinges. Tiny losses and pinholes along rounded corners of support. Random moderate losses to image. Random minor accretions. Abrasions/skinning along edges of support and bottom corners of verso. Random minor insect damage to support and image. Tears/fractures to bottom right corner. Creases/folds in bottom right corner and bottom right edge of image. Delamination along edges, especially in the back right corner. Corrosive ink/pigment possibly in upper center of image and the green in the upper right. Discrete areas of active flaking to image. Stains in bottom corner in white.
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Consolidate flaking paint.
- Reduce pressure sensitive tape, adhesive mechanically.
- Readhere delaminating support layers.
- Mend edge tears and reinforce creases.
- Tone loss in bottom left corner with dry pigment (optional).
- Reduce verso attachments (optional).
Estimated Cost of Treatment: $1000.00