View of Bay of Naples (Napoli de Posolino)
View of Bay of Naples (Napoli de Posolino), 19th Century (?)
Gouache on Paper
This anonymous gouache painting is most likely from the 19th century. It depicts the lively Bay of Naples at dusk. The foreground is filled with strolling pedestrians and horse drawn carriages, suggesting a time of leisure. The background is marked by the Neapolitan hillside and peaceful harbor and provides a peaceful setting for the content figures.
Current Condition of the Artwork:
The gouache painting is executed on a very poor quality illustration board. The board has a moderate or low quality wove paper facing adhered to a multi-laminate cardboard. The cardboard is very deteriorated, discolored and brittle. The surface of gouache painting is extremely damaged and worn with numerous abrasions, scratches & losses. There are glue stains in gouache at a reattached fragment located on CR margin. The painting appears slightly faded and "chalky.”
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Address the torn and detached areas of surface paper and the abrasions and other surface damages to the painting. Extensive media damages will make them difficult to eliminate or reduce in appearance.
- Removal of the acidic mount, should only be undertaken after careful consideration, as it will alter the original construction of the artwork by removing the original board support.
- Backing removal is warranted only if the acidic nature and poor condition of the mount are adversely affecting the painting and paper substrate. The thin and deteriorated condition of the surface paper, as well as the fragile media, makes the backing removal difficult or impossible. Detailed testing will be required.
- Humidify and flatten.
- Inpaint to blend damages as much as possible.
- All materials used will be appropriate and conservation quality. All work will adhere to the highest standards of the field.
Estimated Cost of Treatment: $5,000.00