Scribners Magazine Cover Man on Horse
Wilfred J. Jones
Scribners Magazine Cover Man on Horse, 1917
Gouache on Paper
Gift of Mrs. Elizabeth Jones Greenhall (Artist's Daughter)
Wilfred Jones was a 20th century Philadelphia painter and drawer. Jones was a regular contributor to Scribner’s Magazine, producing numerous cover images for them. His cover images are marked by bold colors, thick outlining, and two dimensional shapes.
Current Condition of the Artwork:
The thin card illustration board is deteriorated and brittle. The edges are very slightly ragged. The surface of the painting is specially grimy and stained at top center and there are distinct and distracting brown liquid drips at the bottom center. The drips have slightly disrupted the paint. There are discolored abrasions or rubs at the edges.
Conservation Treatment Proposed:
- Remove brown paper tape from the back of the board.
- Reinforce edges of the board with Japanese paper and wheat starch paste.
- Minimize liquid stains and grime as much as possible, although this treatment step is limited by media sensitivity.
- The artwork will remain fragile and should be stored on a board support and handled carefully.
- All materials used will be appropriate and conservation quality. All work will adhere to the highest standards of the field.
Estimated Cost of Treatment: $700.00